Dayton, Ohio

On Memorial Day my refrigerator.decided to act like it was the forth of July.

Sparks were flying and black smoke shot out of it. I called Maytay the next day and they told me to quit using it and they would be sending someone out. They sent AZ Appliance out and the gentlement told me I would have to pay for the Parts and Labor if I wanted it fixed. That he was there for the customer which was Whirlpool.

I told Him I did not think I should be responsible for the repair because the part almost started a fire and that was not normal wear. Also how do I know that the part they put back in it would not catch on fire too? I know it is 12 years old but at 1100.00 dollars what is the life expectancy on your refrigerators. Are all of your older refrigerators fire hazzards?

If this would have been normal wear and tare I would never expect your company to pay for repairs but this part is defective and a fire hazzard. I think to help clear this matter up you should clearly state what the life expectancy for your product line is. I mean others maybe at risk here. What do you think?

Also I posted a picture of the Defective part on facebook and someone with your company deleted it.If this was norman wear and tear why hide it?

Had an Experience with Maytag?

Comments

Paul

The CPSC has a new website called "Saferproducts.gov".You should post your complaint and picture of the burned circuit board.

They will notify the manufacturer and give them 10 days to respond before publishing your complaint and their response.This government site is for consumers to report safety issues and it provides manufacturer to an opportunity to do something about it.