Maytag refrigerator shelves brittle and cracking

418 of 708 Maytag reviews

I am writing on behalf of my elderly parents (ages 86 & 89) who purchased a Maytag refrigerator in 2008. I do not have the model or serial number for that unit, but I can tell you that they had so many service calls on it under warranty that Maytag replaced it (November 2009) with a newer model and scrapped the original. The original unit's main issue was dispensing chilled water and ice that smelled like the Cuyahoga River in August . . . of 1969 . . . when it caught on fire!

The replacement refrigerator is model number MSD255OVEW00, serial number HRW3942618. The replacement has had multiple service calls related to the ice maker, including the installation of a re-engineered ice dispenser door/flap mechanism. While the new mechanism has mitigated that problem -- but not entirely -- that's not the main concern.

Shortly after the new unit was out of warranty, my Mother noticed the plastic frame supports on the bottom shelf were beginning to split along their side (i.e. – long) edges. Presently, about a year and a half later, the edges have come completely apart, totally splintered. The bottom shelf now sits precariously, and my Mother is afraid to place anything other than very light items on that platform. In effect, she has half of a refrigerator, and the most convenient spot for an elderly person to place heavier items is unavailable to her.

She maintains a service contract on this unit, but was informed that it would cost her $200 for replacement parts, plus labor to repair the frame. My Sister called customer service number about this matter and was completely rebuffed by the CSR.

While the ice dispenser problem is annoying, I understand the challenges involved in engineering a flap holding ice back from the warm air of a kitchen. However, I cannot for the life of me understand how Maytag could possibly engineer a component performing a task so basic as securely holding up a glass shelf in such a shoddy way. That is completely unacceptable.

My parents live alone. This refrigerator is lightly used. There is no reason for this frame to have come apart in this manner, other than poor design, engineering and cheap materials.

A Maytag employee named Melanie replies to these postings as sweet as can be, pretending she will help resolve your issue. When she calls, she listens, then informs you that there's really nothing she can do for you. She appears to really enjoy her job, especially when she terminates the call with a snide "Have a nice day!"

Don't be fooled . . . and think twice before buying a Maytag appliance.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
418 of 708 Maytag reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan
WP2008

Apr 30, 2014 #810469

Hello CONSUMER. We truly apologize for the frustrations you have experienced with your refrigerator. If you would like us to look further into your concerns, please email us directly at Whirlpool.Digital@Whirlpool.com . Please include your name, User ID, complete contact information, the full physical address where the refrigerator is located, along with the model and serial numbers. Sincerely, Andre W.

BABS

Sep 28, 2014 #876424 Honolulu, Hawaii, United States

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT...YOU WILL STAY ON HOLD FOR HOURS, CALLS WILL NOT BE RETURNED, YOU WILL BE STONEWALLED AND PRODUCT NEVER GETS FIXED...AND...THEY SAY IF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLE MORE THAN 3 TIMES THEY WILL REPLACE IT, NO THEY JUST CLAIM YOU DIDN'T WILL STONEWALL TILL THE WARRANTY RUNS OUT. mE EMAILS MEET WITH THE SAME STONEWALLING.

Shirley

Apr 29, 2014 #810275

Maytag is GARBAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Our fridge's selves cracked and the back has cracks.
We had to buy glass selves since the warranty was over.
I repeat Maytag is no longer what it used to be.
Maytag is GARBAGEEEEEEEEEEEE
Don't buy Maytag

Oct 29, 2013 #734725

We have the same problem (shelves cracking) with our 2009 mid to upper level model side by side Maytag refrigerator. Unfortunately, that is not the only area cracking nor the only problem we have had! The side wall between the fridge and freezer is also cracking and the temperature controller has apparently been out of whack since brand new! We have had problems with the fridge section always getting too cold and freezing things despite setting the temp to the highest available setting!

BABS

Sep 28, 2014 #876427 Honolulu, Hawaii, United States

We bought 2 and had they same problems with both, while under warranty, they just gave us the runaround till the warranty ran out ...THIS WAS SEVERAL YEARS OF RUN AROUND!!!

Anonymous from Dallas, Tx

Aug 18, 2012 #530510

Melanie, The pictures speak for themselves. You can regain our faith in your brand by replacing the defective parts (and labor) so my folks can use more than two shelves of a refrigerator they paid $1400 for less than four years ago.

Anything short of that is unacceptable and will result in this remaining a permanent stain on the Maytag name -- one we will share with family, friends and neighbors . . . and strangers, too.

WP2008

Aug 15, 2012 #529121

Hello. I sincerely apologize we were unable to assist with your parents concerns. I truly did not intend any disrespect in any way. I regret that you have lost your faith in Maytag, and hope that we can try to regain your trust in the future. Sincerely, Melanie

me

Apr 30, 2014 #810500

If you look at all the complaints on maytag appliances you would see why we are all so angry at sears.I had a maytag washer once never again My happiest day was the day we took that pieace of s h i t to the dump.Never had a problem with my new washer...oh yeah its not a maytag.

al

Aug 14, 2012 #528508

Maytag a once top quality brand has become ***. We better get used to the garbage they are putting out.

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Maytag. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about Maytag.
Filing a new complaint about
×