I am writing on behalf of my elderly parents (ages 86 & 89) who purchased a Maytag refrigerator in 2008. I do not have the model or serial number for that unit, but I can tell you that they had so many service calls on it under warranty that Maytag replaced it (November 2009) with a newer model and scrapped the original. The original unit's main issue was dispensing chilled water and ice that smelled like the Cuyahoga River in August . . . of 1969 . . . when it caught on fire!
The replacement refrigerator is model number MSD255OVEW00, serial number HRW3942618. The replacement has had multiple service calls related to the ice maker, including the installation of a re-engineered ice dispenser door/flap mechanism. While the new mechanism has mitigated that problem -- but not entirely -- that's not the main concern.
Shortly after the new unit was out of warranty, my Mother noticed the plastic frame supports on the bottom shelf were beginning to split along their side (i.e. – long) edges. Presently, about a year and a half later, the edges have come completely apart, totally splintered. The bottom shelf now sits precariously, and my Mother is afraid to place anything other than very light items on that platform. In effect, she has half of a refrigerator, and the most convenient spot for an elderly person to place heavier items is unavailable to her.
She maintains a service contract on this unit, but was informed that it would cost her $200 for replacement parts, plus labor to repair the frame. My Sister called customer service number about this matter and was completely rebuffed by the CSR.
While the ice dispenser problem is annoying, I understand the challenges involved in engineering a flap holding ice back from the warm air of a kitchen. However, I cannot for the life of me understand how Maytag could possibly engineer a component performing a task so basic as securely holding up a glass shelf in such a shoddy way. That is completely unacceptable.
My parents live alone. This refrigerator is lightly used. There is no reason for this frame to have come apart in this manner, other than poor design, engineering and cheap materials.
A Maytag employee named Melanie replies to these postings as sweet as can be, pretending she will help resolve your issue. When she calls, she listens, then informs you that there's really nothing she can do for you. She appears to really enjoy her job, especially when she terminates the call with a snide "Have a nice day!"
Don't be fooled . . . and think twice before buying a Maytag appliance.
More Review Details
- Product or service
- Refrigerator Model Msd255Ovew00
- Review category
- Appliances and Electronics
You May Also Like
- "Maytag dryer, less than 10 mos old has broke down 3 times. Each time it is the thermal fuse. I have replaced it twice even tho it is under warranty...."
- "Copy of E-mail I sent GE:I spent thousands of $$$ on putting all monogram appliances into my re-modeled home, purchased from Spencerâ€™s in Phoenix AZ.The Refrigerator (ZISS480DRISS) brokeâ€¦of course following..."
- "Please read reviews prior to ordering from this company, I wish I had. Ordered a 48” Broan Range Hood $1,100.00. Arrived in box that look undamaged (same as..."
- "Bushnell, IL Dollar General is AWFUL! It is UNORGANIZED, FILTHY, and RUDE. This Dollar General is a disaster as soon as you enter the Store. There are CLUTTER all over,..."
- "For over a month and a half at my home in Charlotte, NC , USIC has been sitting in the parking area for hours, sometimes never getting out of trucks,..."
- "I am entering my 8th month on the project and still do not have a completed bathroom. There have been continual mistakes along the way- faucets plumbed wrong, electrical outlet..."
- "I've been getting calls for the last few days about a loan I had taken out with AWL. First Michelle Batemen calls with the same script as Patrick Stern claiming..."
- "Jessica: Hi! How can I help you today? You: I see that their is a waived $20 upgrade fee if I order online, but when I go to checkout it shows..."
- "Resume services or give refund for not providing proper services. On 08-26-2015, my service with POW was interrupted with notice of wrong doing whatsoever. I still receive notifications from current..."