7.4K views

Three years ago I purchased a Maytag MFW9600SQ1 Front load washer, along a Maytag refrigerator and gas dryer. In Canada this washer cost $1243 including taxes. I was told by the dealer that this machine was one of Maytag's better products. This washer does approx 3 loads per week (for two people) and the tub bearing is prematurely failing.

On checking the internet and with a used appliance dealer, I have found that premature bearing failure is a fairly common problem for Maytag front load washing machines. It appears that they do not use sealed bearings.

The bearing is an integral part of of the rear tub assembly and costs $550 in Canada, $350 int the US. With labor the cost of repairs is basically the cost of a new machine. A $20 bearing replacement is not an option.

Though the machine is past its 1 year warranty I contacted Maytag to see if they could help in any way. A goodwill gesture on their part could go a long way towards customer loyalty and positive word of mouth advertising. I was basically told to pound salt.

Maytag's own website states that "We know that you depend on your appliances to get the job done day in and day out. That's why we use durable and long-lasting parts in our machines...All to give you confidence that your Maytag appliance will last year after year". What a load of ***.

These front load washing machines have a lot of plastic and light duty parts in them. They are heavy only because of the concrete counterweights in them.

Our previous washer was a Kenmore top loader (made by the old Inglis manufacturing)and gave us 22 years of trouble-free service. It was built like a tank. 3 years out of a Maytag?? Come on!!

I will never again purchase any Maytag or Whirlpool products and would recommend that potential customers buy from another manufacturer.

Stay away from Maytag/Whirlpool products. They do not last. Please share this with anyone you know that is shopping for appliances.

Chris in Drumbo Ontario, Canada.

Had an Experience with Maytag?

Comments

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, United States #1251213

I had the same experience with a Maytag and a Whirlpool washer. The bearing failed after two years on the Maytag and three years

on the Whirlpool.

Oceanside, California, United States #1196872

I have the same f****** washer Its a piece of sh**.2 years in we had to replace the computer.

A year later now the f**kn bearings. Don't they make anything last anymore.

Feed the 1% and *** the rest I guess.So done

Bought a Maytag front load washer and gas dryer 6 years ago.Bearing failure in the washer 3 years ago, and machine replaced at my expense due to cost of repair.

Today the dryer bearings failed.

I will never buy another Maytag or Whirlpool product again, and this is the first step to telling 100 more consumers.

I have mfw 9700 series front load washer.Only 2 of us, not used hard, bearing failure at 8 years.

If you have even meager mechanical ability and a couple of hours you can make the repairs. You tube video will take you step by step. Order bearing set and seal online. You will also need a new tub gasket as well, also online.

Cost of parts $50. It's interesting they can build automobile wheel bearings that will go over 100k miles. These bearings are operating under the same stresses and fail prematurely.

Does cheap bearings come to mind?Time for Maytag to step up and start making products that live up to their OLD reputation.

We are there with you, got two years out of ours which involved 3 service calls and the bearing was replaced in May under warranty. It is now December and I am headed out to buy a different washer because the repair is sox 1,000 dollars without the warranty and I will never buy A Maytag again

The problem is if you have the bearings and seal replaced they will fail again in a few months.

We've had our Maytag front loader for only about 6 or 7 years and now are experiencing the same problem.Cost to repair is the same as to replace.

Also the Kenmore that this washer replaced was 20+ years old.We too will avoid Maytag/Whirlpool.

I have this machine.Washer just died.

Told me it would be $700 to fix it.

Needs a motor and control panel.Not happening.

My Maytag is just past two years old and has minimal usage, yet it is having bearing failure!Good thing for me I have a mechanically inclined partner and after market kit you can buy online to repair this affordably.

I'm sure not happy having to do it so soon.

It's the first new machine I've owned and it's already needed repairs twice.Major thumbs down from me to Maytag.

Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada #962528

Same as the rest 2 years with the 2000 series and bearings and seal all shot to cap. Maytag states only motor and drum are warranty covered. Will never buy again.