Maytag Bravos Washing Machine failed in 3 years

On Jan 31, 2011, we bought a Maytag Bravos Washing Machine, installed (aren't they all) for $538.71.Thirteen months later (yes, just outside the 12 month warranty), we paid Fred's Appliance $239.71 for a "shifter." In December of 2014, the Maytag didn't work, and on January 14, 2015, Fred's Appliance told us we needed a main gear case repair for $496.96.

That's right, the cost of a new one. Yep, less than three years old. The Maytag has a 10 year (second through tenth year) Limited Warranty, apparently limited to a meteor striking your Maytag. I had to pay Fred's $86.35 for the pleasure of their 20 minute visit anyway.

So, for three years use, I paid $538.71 + $326.06(repairs) = $864.77. I called Maytag, many times, to get to the proper decision maker, who offered me a rebate of $75 if I bought a new one of their dogs. I told her, with all due respect, that was pathetic and that I would spread the word.

Go, therefore, and be healed, but don't buy a Maytag/Whirlpool appliance.(We bought a Speed Queen, the ones they use at laundromats, from B&B Appliance).

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Reason of review:
Damaged or defective
Preferred solution:
Too Late; Maytag offered a $75 rebate if I bought another Maytag. Huh?
Monetary loss:
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 1 No 1
Had the same issue 1 Yes 1
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Oct 15 #1227533 Escondido, California

I am extremely unhappy with the Maytag Bravos ecoconserve. Not only does it not clean our laundry but the lock mechanism rusts out. We replaced it approximately a year ago and again it's showing signs of rust. Without the lock mechanism working the machine will not function.This is by far the worst washer ever, I should have stayed with the Sears brand. Also the Maytag refrigerator we purchased is poor quality.

0 0 Reply

Feb 22, 2015 #949494

Appliances used to have longer warranties but consumers wanted lower prices. Manufacturers went to a 1 year warranty to lower prices. At that time service contracts were offered to cover repairs beyond the 1 year warranty. People including yourself then had the option of a lower price or paying for the longer protection. It was your choice not to purchase a service contract and save some money up front. Looks like you would have been well ahead if you had spent a few extra dollars on a service plan.

0 2 Reply

Apr 15, 2015 #972414

Blame *** customer service and poor workmanship on Maytag's part on the consumer, why don't you?

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.